Resumen de contenidos
✅ In today’s article we show you how to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone and Android. Learn what are the different options to recover deleted WhatsApp messages 📱 and how to access them step by step. It’s simple, follow the instructions!
Is it possible to recover deleted messages from WhatsApp?
Although officially WhatsApp does not allow the recovery of deleted messages, they leave a trace in our terminal that most of the time does allow us to recover them.
When is it possible recover deleted messages from WhatsApp?
When WhatsApp messages are deleted, they disappear from the mobile terminal that received them and the one that sent them without leaving a trace on servers, since the WhatsApp platform does not save them.
On iPhone you can recover deleted WhatsApp messages through a backup.
On Android you can recover deleted WhatsApp messages through the notification log. In this case, there are several exceptions:
- if we are in a conversation when messages are deleted, these can no longer be recovered, since the notifications of the messages did not get to be recorded.
- it will only be possible to retrieve the first 100 characters of the message, since this is the limit set for notifications on Android.
- it will not always be possible to retrieve multimedia content: photos, videos or audios.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages without uninstalling it?
It depends if you use Android or iOS (we will explain below how to do it in each case), but generally speaking, you can recover deleted WhatsApp messages without uninstalling it:
- by installing an application that makes copies of the message notifications,
- through the notification history of the mobile
- or by restoring a backup (this option does require reinstalling WhatsApp)
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android?
On Android, there are several ways to recover deleted WhatsApp messages:
- Using an App: the app would take care of making a kind of backup of the messages. It is the simplest option to recover WhatsApp conversations.
- Accessing the notification history of the mobile.
- Through a backup copy of the Android mobile.
How to recover WhatsApp messages on Android using an App?
Recover WhatsApp messages using an app is the fastest and easiest way to recover deleted conversations, already once installed, this would take care of backing up the notifications of the messages received. Disadvantages:
- We may lose the record of some messages: if we do not receive notification of a message, it will not be recorded. This can happen when we are inside a conversation reading messages.
- We will not have logging of messages prior to the installation of the application.
- We must be careful with privacy: all notification logging applications store private information such as the name of the contacts or the phone number of the contacts. We must use these applications with great caution, for this reason, we will highlight below certain applications to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android that in our opinion do not abuse too much of these privacy permissions.
What apps can I use to recover WhatsApp messages on Android?
The applications that will allow us to recover WhatsApp messages on Android, will be responsible for making a backup of the received message notifications.
We must use them with great caution, as they can sometimes exceed privacy permissions, since they keep record of the name and phone number of our contacts.
The applications that will allow us to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Android without abusing our privacy, are the following:
- WhatsRemoved+: Whenever a notification is generated in our mobile, the application will keep record of WhatsApp messages and other messaging applications. This means that if for example you have WhatsApp open and you find yourself reading the conversation in which the message has been deleted, you will not have access to its content again.
- Download at the WhatsRemoved+ link.
- WAMR: the strong point of this application is that in addition to allowing the recovery of deleted text conversations, it is able to recover multimedia content (images, videos, animated gifs, audio, voice memos, documents, stickers). Once installed and with permissions to access notifications, it will save the content of notifications so you can read messages that are deleted from WhatsApp.
- Download at the link WAMR.
How to use notification history to retrieve WhatsApp messages?
What is notification history?
Notification history is a functionality that some terminals have that is responsible for recording by itself the notifications of each application and save its contents.
On which phones is notification history available?
Currently, the notification history functionality is available on Android 11 and 12 in “system settings” and if the phone manufacturer did not block this option. In the rest of terminals we can not guarantee that it is.
What are the disadvantages of retrieving WhatsApp messages through the notification history on Android?
- Notification history is only available for Android 11 and 12 and if the phone manufacturer did not block this functionality.
- Nothing else can retrieve previously read messages that generated a notification. If the user deletes the messages, and the access to them is after their notification from the log, only ‘This message was deleted’ will be visible.
- It is only valid for texts. In the case of multimedia content, only the type of file sent is recorded.
- Android renews the notification log assiduously, so to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages before the history is updated you can’t wait too long.
How to recover WhatsApp messages on Android through the notification history?
- Tap the desktop screen of your mobile and add a widget.
- Locate the ‘Settings’ widget (remember you may not have it available)
- Add the Settings widget to the desktop and select ‘Notification Log’. The specific title may vary depending on the device, you may also not get the possibility. It all depends on the phone and the brand.
- In case you don’t get the widget you can bypass the inconvenience by downloading Nova Launcher. Install and run the above process by adding the settings widget to the desktop (remember that the notification log must remain selected).
- Once you have created the widget, you must click on it (you will find the icon on the desktop) to access the notification history. Search for WhatsApp messages you have received and locate those that have been deleted: this way you will have access to retrieve their text.
It’s not too comfortable, because the notification log saves all the event code and not just the message text (it’s in the string ‘android.text’), but as you could see, you just need a little patience to read it.
How to recover WhatsApp messages on Android by accessing the backup?
A mobile backup allows you to recover deleted WhatsApp messages as long as they were deleted after the backup was made. Honestly, it is very complicated for this method to work and you have to act in anticipation, but it is still valid. You can lose many other messages along the way, so it’s not too worth it.
Imagine that you are in a conversation with a person and you imagine that he/she might delete it. You can act as follows:
- Backup WhatsApp on Android:
- Access the app’s settings:
- then performs the WhatsApp backup:
- Lastly you must make sure that the backup is performed only on the phone and not on Google Drive:
- If you detect that the other user deleted messages you should uninstall WhatsApp from your phone and restart the account by restoring the last backup. The deleted conversations should remain visible, although it does not always work.
- With this process you will be able to read deleted messages as long as they were visible before the backup. However, be careful because you may lose the rest of the conversations received between the backup and the subsequent restoration.
This process is quite tedious and you have to happen that someone deletes the messages that you had previously saved in the WhatsApp copy, but it can be useful.
How to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone?
On iPhone, we can recover WhatsApp messages that were deleted as follows:
- By installing an app: this will keep record of all our WhatsApp conversations acting as a backup of messages.
- By backing up the iPhone.
How to recover WhatsApp messages on iPhone using an App?
At the moment, we don’t have on iOS such a simple option to install an app and recover deleted WhatsApp messages. Try the option to backup your WhatsApp chats to access them when you need them as we indicate in the section below.
How to recover WhatsApp messages on iPhone by accessing the backup?
Performing a backup of the mobile gives you the opportunity to recover deleted WhatsApp messages when their deletion was after the data backup.
Although this is one of the few options offered to us to recover WhatsApp messages on iPhone, we must recognize that it is really difficult for this method to work, so we must act in anticipation. Although many messages can be lost along the way, it is still a valid option.
It may be the case that you are in a conversation with another person and you sense that you can delete it. Before this happens, you should act as follows:
- Backup WhatsApp on iPhone:
- Access the application settings:
- make a backup of WhatsApp:
- you must make sure that the backup is performed only on the phone and not on iCloud:
- Once you detect that the other user deleted messages, you should proceed to uninstall WhatsApp from your iPhone and restart the account by restoring the last backup. The deleted conversations will appear visible again, although it should be noted that it does not always work.
- With this method you will be able to read deleted messages as long as they were visible before making the copy. You must be careful, as you may lose the rest of the conversations received between the backup and the subsequent restoration.
Recover WhatsApp messages on iPhone through a backup is a rather cumbersome method and it has to happen that someone deletes the messages you had previously saved in the WhatsApp copy, but it can be very useful when you have no other option available.
So much for all the information you need to know about how to recover WhatsApp messages. If you are interested in continuing to learn more about technology, productivity or support topics, be sure to follow our blog!